eXTReMe Tracker

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Catching Up

Bishop Don JuanI haven't been able to write at length like I was hoping to, so I'll just give you the Cliffs Notes version of what's been up the last couple of weeks. I'm sure that learning my stories will be shorter, rather than longer, does not ring to you as bad news.

* I got sick after Christmas
* Delayed Celebrity Sighting -- Mary Steenburgen the night Troy Smith won the Heisman. Walking with perhaps a teenage daughter around jam-packed Times Square.
* Delayed Celebrity Sighting, Part II -- Michael Musto, Village Voice Dork Bureau Chief, on Dec. 27. Homey was riding what looked like my grandmother's bike -- I think it even had a basket on the front -- on the Lower East Side in busy traffic.
* Perhaps the celebrity sightings were delayed because they were Mary Steenburgen and Michael Musto.
* Perhaps my post-Christmas illness was related to seeing Musto maneuver that Schwinn in a very feminine manner.
* New Year's Eve in Chicago was much like my new rotary phone in that it was off the hook.
* In a group of six on the night before New Year's Eve, I was the only white kid, and Marcus reminded me of my poor dancing skills at least once. If he wasn't around, my dancing skills wouldn't have been so bad. They took me to Cuatro, where the Rate My Curls competition drew looks from many adoring men, but the dames were with us.
* In Chicago, I also made the coolest purchase I've made in a long time. A Clyde Frazier-like, three-quarter tweed coat with orange and yellow flecks and a black fur collar. Only $50 on Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park.
* This purchase was made after I bought a cashmere-ish orange and yellow scarf that also was very reasonably priced.
* But the biggest headline from Chicago was being in a cloudy hotel room rented by none other than the Bishop Don Juan. Who's Don Juan? The best way I've been able to describe him is Snoop Dogg's sidekick, the guy with the four-fingered rings, round-the-clock sunglasses and his trademark gold glass, often filled with some sort of alcoholic beverage. He and his entourage smoke a lot of marijuana.
* Janet the Dancer from the NYE party at the W is officially one of the sexiest people alive. People magazine doesn't know shit.

After I got to Chicago, Marcus hit me with, "Hey, would you mind shooting this party on New Year's Eve for a couple hours?" So I was working with unfamiliar Nikon equipment -- I'm a Canon guy -- but I got a few good pictures. Marcus assembled the slideshow for his station's site in Chicago. Here ya go.

* Jan. 1 -- For the second time in two weeks, I sat next to and talked the ear off of a lovely NYC gal on the airplane. We split a cab back to the city and it was on like Jonathan Papelbon. We grabbed a couple drinks later that week at Cafe Charbon in the LES. Very hot place, btw, if you're looking for a dimly lit joint with comfy couches and an overall splendid atmosphere. Of course, at least several gay men work there, so if you look like me, expect more attention from them than from your date.
* Jan. 8 -- Tracy from the Fox party called back on the night (Jan. 5) we all said goodbye to reporter James Ford last week at Merchant's. We met up on Monday, and, just as I suspected, ESPN she was not. She had very little game.
* A half hour after parting ways with her, I caught up with Sapna, and we went to a small gathering to watch OSU get handled in the BCS game. If there was a silver lining to that night, it was that I made six new friends who seem like outstanding people. And of course, Sapna charmed them all. That gal is quite delightful.
* Looks like I'll be catching up with national anchor girl next week. Stay tuned for further details.
* Jan. 10 -- Firth MacMillan, the lovely cousin of my good friend Tom Cunningham, had an opening at Hunter College. She's quite an impressive artist, but how she sells her work without a Web site I don't know. Get online, Firth! Her aunt and uncle, aka Tom's parents, were up here from Cincinnati, and it was excellent to see them. Enjoyed hearing from Mr. Cunningham his precious tale of how global warming doesn't exist. Met a few more people who I hope to keep in touch with, including a film director. I feel like a Cincinnati Reds fan when I describe my intention to finally write that freaking screenplay. "This could be the year."
* Just checked my flight info and my flight leaves for Louisville Friday morning at 6 a.m. Ouch.
* I guess I did write some lengthy shit. Thanks for reading, and Happy New Year!
* Speaking of the new year, come on back soon. I have resolutions other than trying to quit procrastinating that I plan to post in February.

4 Comments:

At 11:20 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I wish I could have been there to bump into those Celebs that you ran into........Who the hell are they?

GO BUCKS

 
At 3:06 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"This could be the year" resonates more with Cleveland than The Nasty, at least our Red Legs have won the World Series in recent memory!!

 
At 4:08 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite people from that slideshow are these blokes, who appear to have been flown in from the late-90s.

 
At 8:13 AM EST, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Tony -- Yeah, fairly weak celeb sightings. I'll try to get out more.

Sholl -- This is your first and only warning: anti-Cleveland sentiment will NOT be tolerated.

Cope -- Wales is rubbing off on you. The 'u' in favorite is indeed quite fancy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home