eXTReMe Tracker

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Review: The Good Shepherd

It doesn't take a genius to realize Matt Damon's Edward Wilson character was inspired by J. Edgar Hoover in "The Good Shepherd," but apparently it might have needed one to make the film a little more exciting.

Don't get me wrong; I certainly enjoyed the movie and I definitely recommend it, but I think with DeNiro directing and appearing briefly, and with Angelina Jolie, Alec Baldwin, John Turturro and William Hurt, I figured there would be more excitement.

The story is obviously a serious one, so lighter moments were at a premium, but the whispery mood grew a little tiresome. I like spy movies, even a mindless chase-the-briefcase film, but it almost seemed like the moviemakers were keeping some things secret from the viewers the way secrets were being protected or pursued within the plot.

I know this doesn't sound like an overwhelming thumbs up, but it is. Check it out for yourself and see if you think Wilson was patterned after Hoover.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:11 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, I know I come across negative and give you a lot of flack in good-natured fun, but this review might end our friendship. I saw this movie on Christmas day with my brother and was sadly disappointed. People were snoring and about 35 people walked out. I should have done the same. There were numerous plot holes and NO ACTION throughout. I was thoroughly bored and couldn't have cared less if any of the characters died. Such a waste for so many good actors. We'll have to discuss this in person so I can have a good swing at you.

 
At 4:10 PM EST, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

I know I'm a little wishy-washy on the review, but I'd still recommend the movie. It certainly didn't meet expectations, but I still thought it was at least decent. Could have been shorter, I'll admit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home