eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, October 22, 2007

Review: 60 Minutes, Vanity Fair

I seldom go political over here, but did anyone see "60 Minutes" last night?

As if I needed more reason to be skeptical of the Bush administration, Katie Couric got Valerie Plame Wilson's first interview since conservative columnist and part-time a-hole Robert Novak outed her as a CIA covert operative in 2003.

Obviously, the scandal is far from new, but it's always interesting and important to hear directly from the source, especially when we haven't yet had the privilege until now. And personally, I'm a little bit interested in this story, because her husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, was taken hostage in Kuwait along with my friend John Charlton, the son of a diplomat, in 1990.

Now I know the right will again stop at nothing to discredit the Wilsons, but in our culture of endless political denials and short memories, the one, simple question that needs to be asked is, why smear the Wilsons? What did she do? What did he find?

The answers are easy: Nothing, to both, that could merit a deliberately egregious leak from the White House to a self-proclaimed journalist like Novak.

And when I got in bed a few hours later, after watching my Cleveland Indians intentionally lose Game Seven, I continued reading a story (Vanity Fair, November) I'd begun last week about a Halliburton spinoff and its fraudulent practices that have led to dozens of lawsuits against the contracting giant in Iraq. If you have the time, it's really worth the read.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wasn't it armitage that outed plame. stick with the facts lefty. what other companies are capable of doing what hallibuton does?

 
At 3:09 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Hey ace, if I recall, armitage and Team Cheney LEAKED her name, but Novak put it in print, so there's your OUTED explanation.

And click that link on the Halliburton tip. I think the company is called KBR.

 
At 3:39 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what is worse, Gouging by Halliburton/KBR, coverup by the D.O.J, or the fact I'm upset that I did not buy Halliburton stock in 2000

 
At 4:14 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Yeah, that stock would have been nice.

Sincerely,
Enron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home