eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, May 19, 2008

My First Photo Shoot

OK, so I've been saying for a year how I've been ready to start doing portraits. I bought a slightly-better-than-a-beginner's light set and I have a black backdrop that I've nailed into my living-room wall.

Good friend Swarna, an aspiring TV reporter, needs some head shots. After months of talking about it, she finally became my first victim Monday.

Now this is where you come in. We're trying to figure out which head shot(s) to use.

I took about 160 shots in four hours or so. Most of them were straight-up head shots, but there were a few from the waist up and a handful of 3/4 shots. Below are eight face shots. Let me know which one(s) you favor. Oh, and one last item that should let you know how well I know my audience: Obscene commentary will obviously not be posted. And disclaimer number two: there might be a renegade shadow here or there that I might have missed. Again, this is my first shoot, and I'm far from a lighting expert.

Thanks for your help.

Swarna
Swarna
Swarna
Swarna
Swarna
Swarna
Swarna
Swarna

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 11:31 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty lady.

Numbering them #1-8, I'd say 3, 4, and 6 are the best for professional headshots.

 
At 11:45 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Thanks Matt. I assume you're going L to R, rather than up and down?

Thanks.

 
At 10:02 AM EDT, Blogger brokedickdog said...

L to R I think #8 is best her best pose, professional and alluring.
However it is a little bit too dark. You captured more contrast in #1 and #7.

That’s how it looks on my screen; paper might be a little different.

 
At 10:21 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#6 going from l to r

 
At 10:45 AM EDT, Blogger Susie said...

Wow! Very pretty, indeed.

As you know, I have no idea about what is required/appropriate for a "professional headshot," but if you want a girl's opinion on aesthetics, I like 4 best, but also 7 and 8 (and yes, I'm numbering 1 - 8, L to R).

 
At 10:51 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top left. Best smile.

 
At 11:38 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Row two, Column one. Looks most pro. My goodness is she stunning.

-Bagley

 
At 11:41 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going L to R I would say 4 & 5. Her hair doesn't get lost in the background. And I like the color in #4.

 
At 11:53 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2nd down on the left. The on she is wearing the red blouse. Very striking, great smile, and well lit. Oh, and you should have labeled them. Alsos brokedickdog would like to know when it will be appropriate for the inappropiate comments.

 
At 12:54 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im a goood speler and goood with at punctiatian

 
At 4:37 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one with the pink blouse. Definitely.

 
At 7:33 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mr. Wise. As an aspiring photographer myself, I was very impressed with your ability to capture the female essence in a vivid and remarkably exciting way.
For professional headshot, go with #4. For meer art and beauty, definitely #2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home