eXTReMe Tracker

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Albert Hofmann Dies

The year was 1992. My dad had been ill for months and he actually died just a few weeks later. My friends told me one certainly needed to be in the right frame of mind.

My friends told me this after I tried LSD for the first, only and last time.

Sure, Pops was on my mind around the time I put that tiny little square on my tongue, but maybe he wasn't during the hour that passed between my swallowing LSD and when it hit me. We also passed the time by watching "Star Trek," typically not a show that interests me, especially when I'm lying on my back watching upside down as spaceships and laser beams begged to burst out of the television screen.

Maybe he wasn't in my thoughts when I went down to the bathroom and ignored my friends' urges to avoid the mirror. What ended up happening? Well, for starters, I had a several-minute conversation with my shoulder.

Later, and back upstairs, as the hours rolled by on a summer afternoon under a low-ceilinged attic, it became clear to everyone that I was having a hard time with LSD. So I returned to the floor -- oh, that comfortable floor -- and put my arm up on the couch for constant reminders that other humans were still nearby. Every 15 minutes or so, I'd ask one of the friends, "Everything's cool, right?" or "I'll just be OK if I sit here, right?"

So 16 years later, we still joke from time to time about how I couldn't handle that regrettable day. I thought I'd give you something to laugh at now that news reports tell us the inventor of LSD, Albert Hofmann, died at 102 from a heart attack in Switzerland. >>Read More

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:32 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

First of all, my prayers are with your family and I hope your stepdad makes a full recovery. Second, I actually do enjoy your blog. Third, you are still a squid.

I took this stuff a couple of times and the first time I took it probably saved my college career by expanding my level of perception.

However, I did not take it much after because it was usually cut with rat poison and I didn't think that was very good for me. Especially after a time it felt like my heart was dissolving in my chest while playing drums.

I truly believe pure LSD taken in the proper setting is mind expanding and can truly help some people. However, just like any drug, including alcohol, major problems arise when abused and/or criminalized.

-John Bagley

 
At 8:26 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who wakes up and thinks, 'I'm going to invite Lysergic Acid today'

 
At 10:10 AM EDT, Blogger brokedickdog said...

That was the house on Delta right?
If I remember correctly, the neighborhood kids were after you?
Refresh my memory please!

 
At 9:19 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Bagley: Thanks for sharing your personal take on a fairly private matter. One experiment was enough for me tho!

Wall: I agree.

Broke: No, not the house on Delta. It was on Eden in 1992, that huge house with all those dudes where we had several parties? And your boy Jason was the one who had to babysit my arm and keep telling me everything was going to be cool. We still laugh about that.

 
At 9:37 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to dig calamaries!

 
At 6:08 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as the only sober person in the room with you, it was quite a day.

who trips mid-day with the sun shining bright?

you tried to play frisbee in the back yard and got paranoid by the neighbor kids.

your more famous line from that day was "dude, hold my hand."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home