eXTReMe Tracker

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Perspective Schmerspective

I hate cliches, especially around the holidays, but it's hard not to find perspective this time of year. I went for a run in Central Park, and after admiring some of the street art near the Met, I walked home and passed a homeless man curled up in a corner near a church. I've actually seen this guy many times in my neighborhood.

And for the first time since I can remember, I actually stopped and asked him if I could get him anything. Without hesitation, he looked up and said in an unfamiliar accent, "Hell yeah, how 'bout some money for food, Papi?"

So because running in the park is one of the few things things New Yorkers don't have to pay for, I had no money on me. I ran up to my apartment and grabbed a few bucks, then around the corner to buy a slice of pizza and a bottled water. I slid three bucks in the bag with the pizza, and when I returned to him, he said he couldn't eat the pizza because he's diabetic.

So you know that question you hear in December commmercials, "What do you give the man who has everything?" Well, I need an answer for, "What do you feed the homeless man who has diabetes?" If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

But back to perspective; I find myself often lamenting that I don't have this and that, complaining about seemingly insurmountable problems, whining about my recent breakup with the Baton. But if my life is such that I can take a few minutes out of my life and try to help a homeless dude in my neighborhood, and then I get to come home and sleep in my warm bed and head to my pretty good job tomorrow, I have way more than I think I do.

Again, sorry for the corny cliche, but instead of trying to find the hot young girlfriend, could this possibly be the way to go? Caring less about having a pretty girl on my arm and more about making the day of a complete stranger? I'll give it a try and get back to you. Meantime, my phone's ringing in the other room. It's probably one of my bitches.

2 Comments:

At 2:44 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give the Bum a job cleaning your messy crib.

 
At 3:25 PM EST, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

If I let him inside, he might mistake it for his own area and never leave.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home