eXTReMe Tracker

Friday, February 16, 2007

Good Timing, Mr. Hardaway

I wonder if any sex-addicted NBA players will take any slutty women up to their Las Vegas hotel rooms over All-Star weekend the next few days. I really can't imagine that happening.

But one person who will probably try to keep a lower profile is former NBA star Tim Hardaway. Quite frankly, I don't have a problem with his "I hate gay people" rant this week. Not because I agree; I like and dislike gay people for the same reasons I like and dislike straight people. People can't control how they feel, and they're more than welcome to express those opinions.

The only things with which I have problems here are:

A) How dumb a former star athlete must be to make such comments when he's got to know of the next morning's backlash.
2) The hypocritical NBA coming out to remind the public of the great disparity between Hardaway's views and the league's. What, does the league have a formal policy on how it views gay people? It's not a real policy; it's merely a form letter drawn up by a PR jackass and a lawyer that the league has at the ready in a time like this. It's a hollow statement that exists only to keep the league out of trouble.

As the publisher of a public blog and a supervisor of its staff of dozens of writers around the globe, should I craft my own official policy?

If you ask 100 NBA players, or 100 NFL players or 100 MLB players, off the record, you'll get more than a small percentage of athletes who share Hardaway's anti-gay views. I guarantee that.

Do you think Hardaway will become the outcast John Rocker became?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bigger question is why does "the media" make such a big deal that Flame Job came out of the closet. Did he also cure AIDS or solve the worlds problems?

Also Hardaway needs to stand by what he said and stop back away from it.

 
At 12:17 PM EST, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Agreed. Who cares that he's gay? Is it because he's British or some other dumb reason? "My, that's one of the tallest gay men I've ever seen."

Even if he was a better player, I wouldn't care, but he actually had a pretty unremarkable career.

And yeah, Hardaway obviously got some counseling. Maybe he should join Isaiah Washington in the therapy that helps straight people like gay people more. I think a law is being considered in some states that requires straight people to like gay people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home