eXTReMe Tracker

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Take That, Banksy

My boy Dave turned me onto well-known British graffiti artist Banksy this year. After I saw a book of some of Banksy's work at Dave's house, I bought it for my niece and another friend a short time later.

Then last month there was some excitement about a scheduled Banksy visit to New York to help promote the opening of his new movie, "Exit Through The Gift Shop." But since he's an anonymous street artist, you could walk past him on the street and not even know it.

I don't know if I've ever walked past Banksy, but I did go spend a few minutes to look at one of his latest New York hits, on the north wall of a building at the southwest corner of Jay and Water streets (pictured above) in DUMBO Tuesday morning. Dave sent me a story from Gothamist.com last night that reported Banksy was leaving behind evidence that he's still in New York. By the time I hit that DUMBO location to photograph it today, however, a rival named Poster Boy had tagged it, as you can see if you click the image to enlarge it.

An updated Gothamist story points out that there's "a massive graffiti/streetart beef" happening around town. Banksy seems like the guy who likes to get the last laugh; perhaps he'll strike again in your neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home