eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, July 02, 2007

Weekend Recap

Friend Christine moved out of her apartment over the weekend, so she wanted to have one last gathering at the old place.

She was still moving late Friday night, so she asked friends to show up no earlier than midnight. I got there at 1 or so, and the next thing I know our small group was on the roof, watching the sun rise a few hours later. My first NYC sunrise.

Things settled down at about 6 a.m., and other than a run through Central Park on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, most of the day was spent relaxing indoors.

An old girlfriend, Susie, stopped by for a little while Saturday evening to buy some of my photos. She's an attorney in Atlanta these days, and got into town earlier in the week. Thinking Mexican, I suggested Rosa Mexicano for dinner on Thursday night, not knowing it's a chain. So much for earning some points for that, but the place still is excellent. They're famous for making guacamole fresh from scratch right at your table, but the food overall was quite good. Earlier, as I stood outside waiting for her to show up, I saw my old high school Homecoming date Lisa waiting to get seated. That was pretty funny.

And I can't remember the name of the bar where Susie and I ended up after dinner later Thursday, but it was a pretty cool place around 53rd and 9th. The music was quite good, and it prompted me over the weekend to dust off Moby's 1999 "Play" album and give it a listen for the first time in a few years. I'd kind of forgotten about him.

Sunday was outstanding. I went to another rooftop party late in the day, but this one was 51 floors up. I practically could have shaken hands with the Empire State Building. My new friend Kari also works in news and had a fair amount of media people over. Despite that, we were able to enjoy ourselves.

One guy named Rob caused quite a stir when he busted out his brand new iPhone. Perhaps you've heard about these lately? He showed us curious gawkers a thing or two, and I have to say it's pretty hot. Rob also negated my rant about the seemingly less-than-confident-Friday-at-6 p.m.-on-a-holiday-weekend release. He said he expects Steve Jobs to announce -- weekend box-office style -- some impressive sales figures today or Tuesday, yet another feather in Apple's fedora. I'll buy that, tho we are several hours into the new week already. Tick tock.

Anyway, it was cool watching the sun rise from one rooftop on Saturday morning and watching it set on another roof 36 hours later.

Also this weekend, thanks again to Netflix, I watched two more movies. "The Queen" was excellent, and "Notes On A Scandal" was decent.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM EDT, Blogger Susie said...

I think the bar in question was the barside of a little restaurant called Eatery...and I can't believe I made the blog. How exciting! But wait...why didn't I get described as "gorgeous"? Ah, how fleeting is my victory...

 
At 11:58 PM EDT, Blogger Jason said...

moby? I thought you were straight.

 
At 7:17 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not straight, check the post from June 24.

 
At 8:32 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

S -- The other gal who got the gorgeous label is an Atlanta native, whereas you're just working there.

Just kidding. Mere words are not worthy of describing you.

BF -- Moby was solid. Step off now. And sweet profile. Your blog is tight.

C -- You should be a detective.

 
At 10:16 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog posts require too much reading these days. Too bad you didn't blog back in Cincinnati, it would have been more time efficient.

Weekend Recap
Yet another blackout.

Weekend Recap
Yet another blackout.

Weekend Recap
Yet another blackout.

 
At 5:47 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Miles, I think you have me mixed up with somebody else.

Sincerely,
Amy, the girl standing between her fiancee, you, me and Zane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home