eXTReMe Tracker

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"So Was He"

I got some sad news Tuesday night.

After I swallowed several beers and lots of overpriced junk food and hazed the hell out of Alex Rodriguez at the Yankees game last night (thanks, Troy), I came home and called my good friend Anna in Cincinnati.

In addition to being brilliant and beautiful, she's also Korean. She told me she was minding her business earlier in the day, waiting in line to get a newspaper when a fellow student asked if she was Korean. When she said yes, he pointed to the front page of the paper he'd just bought and said "So was he," referring to Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech killer, implying that because they might have similar facial features and that their ancestors hail from the same country, she must have been in on Monday's tragic plan.

All those Asians run together, right?

It's funny; Cincinnati's unreluctance to hate either didn't bother me or make much of an impression on me when I was there, but since I've been away, nearly three years now, this quality seems quite profound. I lived there for 14 years and made many great friends there, and I'm sure they're tired of my regular rants about it. This broken-record syndrome of mine, however, makes my opinion no less heartfelt.

Don't get me wrong; I'm quite capable of being an a-hole myself. I do it frequently. But to be that weak and make such a stupid comment is simply ridiculous. So on behalf of Cincinnati and dumbasses everywhere, Anna, I apologize.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:27 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumbasses are not everywhere, not just Cincy. I am reluctant to blame any city/society/ethnic group for anything done my one of their members. I'm sure this little scene took place in many places around the country in the last few days. Unfortuante for sure. I apologize on behalf of my hometown as well, but even better I'd like to see this guy get his ass kicked.

 
At 6:21 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Matt, you sound like Dave, and I agree that dumbasses are indeed everywhere. I guess I just saw/heard about that type of behavior in Cincinnati with greater frequency than anywhere else. But you're right; such ignorance has probably taken place all over the country this week.

 
At 10:20 AM EDT, Blogger the whole orange said...

If you think people in Cincinnati are ignorant, i shudder to think what your opinion would be regarding most Atlantans.

 
At 9:16 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why apologize Primp? Thats like a white guy apologizing to blacks for prior slavery. No need to brother!

 
At 9:27 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Oh wow.

 
At 11:55 AM EDT, Blogger Marcus Riley said...

I went to a freebie dinner with some friends last weekend where all we needed to pay was the tip. My Mexican friend didn't have any cash, so she said she'd pay me later. No big deal, i said, but when she insisted, I said she could just "bring me some tamales instead." I'm not sure why she got so pissed. She said, "why tamales? Why not lasagna?" I said, "because you're not fucking Italian!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home