eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, April 09, 2007

Reviews

Sorry I've been out of the loop lately. I know y'all have been craving a full dose of uncomedy over here. But another depressing holiday came and went, and I'm building a Web site for my photography, so that's been taking some time. Keep an eye out for that new site by the end of the month, btw.

But I will go ahead and tell you that I recommend "Blades Of Glory." I also recommend "Shooter." But here's the most important recommendation I can give this week: Wait for both to come out on DVD.

Will Ferrell's iron is still hot, so the laugh-out-loud moments aren't lacking. But Jon Heder continues to miss the high notes he reached three years ago with "Napoleon Dynamite." Ferrell picks him up generously, both figuratively and in the script. It's a good laugher, but you don't need to rush out at your next opportunity.

And give "Shooter" credit for some originality because I don't think such a story has been worked into a movie. But it's not without the cliche portrayal of an assassin (Mark Wahlberg plays Bob Lee Swagger) who works alone and prefers a quiet existence in the northern mountains with his reliable old dog who's trusty enough to grab a cold Budweiser from the fridge after a long day of shootin'.

"Shooter" was paced well -- quieter moments separating the high-energy turns -- but the credits probably rolled about 10 or 15 minutes later. And though she's looked better in "Boston Legal" and "Nip Tuck," Rhona Mitra still is stunning in a government administrator role.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home