eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, February 04, 2008

Superbole

Enough with the Super Bowl hyperbole. Sunday's game was not the best game in NFL history, nor was it the biggest upset in all of sports.

But because of our short memories and closed-minded need to categorize everyone and everything, I heard such claims from the media today.

Now I'm not quite the historian for Super Bowls as I think I am with NCAA basketball tournaments the last 25 years or so, but off the top of my head, even the exciting finish might not have been the most thrilling in Super Bowl history. Right now I'm thinking about Joe Montana's late drive against the Bengals in 1989, and more recently, New England's Adam Vinatieri won Super Bowls with field goals, one a game-ender (2002) and the other with nine seconds left (2004).

And now that the season is over, here is my NFL offseason wish list:

+ Chris Berman and Stu Scott are on the next plane that crashes.
+ Emmitt Smith works on his English, starting with "Hand Hand Finger Thumb."
+ New York fans at work shut up about Brady, Belichick and 18-1. Just one day of it has made me nearly suicidal.
+ The Browns keep Derek Anderson, and if they have to deal somebody, make it unproven Brady Quinn, perhaps in exchange for a first-rounder on defense. As it stands now, Cleveland does not have a first-round pick.
+ ESPN gets over itself and the New York-Boston angle from yesterday's Super Bowl. Had the exact same game taken place between, say, Detroit and Houston, folks would not be dropping the Best-Super Bowl-Ever tag.
+ Fans and media alike realize that Tony Romo is merely a good quarterback, but not the next Brett Favre.
+ Favre comes back and takes the Packers to the Super Bowl, where he hoists the Lombardi Trophy and then retires the next day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Until the midpoint of the 4th quarter, the game was pretty uninteresting. I wasn't impressed with either side offensively.

I certainly wouldn't call it the best ever. I can recall at least 3 that I thought were better games to watch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home