eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, July 23, 2007

Catching Up

Sorry, been out of the loop for a while, so let's get caught up:

+ Went to Robert Moses Beach with Christine and got a nasty sunburn on Sun., July 15.

+ Spent the week crying about my sunburn, and finally peeled off I think one full layer of skin from my back over this weekend.

+ Wednesday, Sylvia was nice to take me to "Old Acquaintance" at the American Airlines Theater. I'm not a Broadway expert, but the play was actually very good.

+ Wearing my salmon pants -- no, they're not pink -- that got some predictable comments from some drunk construction meatheads at the bar we visited for a quick bite before the play, I arrived a little tardy because of the steam pipe explosion at Grand Central Terminal. I live on the 4/5/6 line, where service was closed off just moments before I'd gotten on the train. Finally, a legitimate excuse for my tardy habit.

+ The old lady sitting next to me, married to the man whose hearing aid kept making loud beeps so that the entire theater could hear throughout the entirety, grabbed my arm as I SILENTLY paged through the Playbill for about five or 10 seconds to find the name of one of the actresses as she appeared in Act One, asking, "Could you please not do that?" I have no problem with deaf people, but paging through the program for several seconds was far less of a distraction than their two-hour, two-man circus.

+ Watched the movie "Reno: 911" last week. That was excellent.

+ Went to McAleer's Pub on the Upper West Side for Bruce's birthday on Friday night. He's got some pretty cool friends, and I invited them to my party, still on for this Saturday, July 28. Also was nice to invite some street strangers who I met that night. We'll see if they show up. And remember Homecoming Date Lisa? She and her husband came out for a beer too. I think the last time we hung out they bought me a beer then as well. I need to buy them a beer or two next time.

+ Started to get the crib ready Sunday for next weekend's party. First order of business was to carve out the tuna-flavored science project from a tupperware container in my fridge. Some would call it moldy; I'll just say it was growing a beard.

+ Edited a lot of new images over the weekend and ordered some more. My stuff is going in a gallery in Newport, Ky., as soon as I get it there, probably in a week or two, and I might have another art show there in October. Please stay tuned for details on that.

+ The Barry Bonds pool I organized at work is shaping up nicely. If Bonds surpasses Hank Aaron's home-run record anytime between July 28 and Aug. 5, I win $105. Let me reword that. I get to keep the $105 I've already spent. Before Opening Day, I collected $5 a head from co-workers just to promote a little inter-office camaraderie, and you wouldn't believe how many people complained about the rules and procedures and this and that ... all while handing over their money. Suckers!

+ I can't figure out which hour of comedy is better -- Thursday's "30 Rock" and "The Office" on NBC, or Sunday's "Entourage" and "Flight Of The Conchords" on HBO. "Conchords" is awesome. It might be a touch dry at times, but I heard over the weekend it's pulling the best ratings of any show HBO has placed in the post-"Entourage" slot, so don't look for it to go anywhere anytime soon.

+ Fifty bucks says the investigation into Tim Donaghy reveals more NBA refs are involved in betting on games they're officiating. This could blow wide open, but then again, that's what I said more than a year ago about Rick Tocchet and his NHL gambling ring. That story just kind of disappeared, right?

+ And I must admit, I watched the David Beckham debut Saturday with anticipation similar to that of LeBron James' NBA debut in 2003. It was exciting to see him take the field in the 78th minute, though no fireworks followed. After abhorrent behavior Friday night, my Irish guilt kept me indoors Saturday night, and watching the Galaxy hang tough with Chelsea from my couch turned out to be a pleasant alternative.

+ Best line I've heard recently, during a conversation about how weak ESPN's "Who's Now?" debate is. John Boel said last week, in a mock tease voice, "Tonight on Who's Now, dogfighting legend Michael Vick takes on Rainmaker Pac-Man Jones." That's pretty funny. That "Who's Now?" piece is awful, just as most of ESPN's stuff is, but methinks ESPN's love affair with itself will only lead to an expanded field next year of 64 contenders. I can't figure out who I despise more, Chris Berman or Stu Scott.

Thoughts On Who's Now?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 10:29 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are the irish guilt guidelines on sticky silk boxers? wish I was off this weekend....would love to show up at an UES soiree' unannounced.

 
At 5:57 PM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Dave, so glad you put an accent after the second 'e' in soiree'. You know I would have gone off had you not done that.

 
At 8:15 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you were like an english major or something. i was all like, here's me about to add soiree' without an accent and shit. i had knownt you would be all like, 'dude, bad grammar' and I'd be all 'dude, tell me about it' and you'd be like, 'dumbass, stop typing'

 
At 9:46 AM EDT, Blogger brokedickdog said...

I’ve actually been wanting to add my two cents to the “Who’s Now” debate since it started. I am stuck watching that absurd segment every morning while on the elliptical since nothing else is on that early.

If it wasn’t for Jessica Biel the other day I would have kicked the TV in.
Why not change the name to “Who’s Homecoming King?” or “Who Publicist Sucks the least?”

Espn is becoming the E! network – or has that already happened. Just give me the top 10 plays, and shut up.

 
At 9:48 AM EDT, Blogger brokedickdog said...

BTW-
Schwartz take note!

This article was published in a internationally recognized newspaper...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/07/26/violetblue.DTL

 
At 10:02 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Dag, Slizz. Where have you been? And yeah, ESPN has been going the Hollywood direction for a few years now. Evidenced by Sam Jackson's ESPY preview five years ago, "Join the greatest players in sports on the greatest night in sports." Yeah, also known as the Wednesday during the Major League All-Star break, tough guy. Take it easy. ESPN has been weak for the smart crowd for a while, but the fantasy-playing masses will never shake the boring addiction.

 
At 10:06 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

And Slizz, remember my legal notice:

"This forum is not in any way intended to serve as a third-party means of communication for its non-ownership participants."

So keep your love notes to Barry to yourself. Or at least BCC me on them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home