eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, June 05, 2006

Thursday Recap -- Part Deux

What I feared about arriving in Manhattan actually did not come true. I'm a fairly equal mix of nervous, skeptical and generally clueless when it comes to major undertakings, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to park the big banana on my block about 90 minutes before the movers were scheduled to arrive to unpack my belongings.

Jennifer and I walked around a couple of blocks, then came back to meet the super so I could get the keys and step inside my new apartment.

A short time later, the movers arrived and told me it would be OK for me to move the truck to a spot right in front of my building -- as well as a fire hydrant -- as long as I stayed with the truck and kept a watchful eye on it. My initial reaction was one of skepticism. How can I keep an eye on the truck down here and an eye on my belongings that you're moving? It was a leap of faith, and I ended up tipping the guys 80 percent afterward on ignorant trust alone.

RESTAURANT REVIEW -- Remember an episode of NBC's The Office last fall, when Steve Carell told the camera he loves returning to New York City, the Big Apple, the city that never sleeps, then the shot went from tight to wide only he revealed his fave pizza joint was merely a Sbarro? Well, my introduction to city dining as a New York City resident was not unlike the Sbarro in that Mimi's certainly lacked the sexiness, but unlike the pizza branch, Mimi's Pizza And Restaurant actually served up some outstanding authentic Italian food. Not necessarily charming decor or waitstaff, but the Spaghetti with a red sausage sauce was delectable, especially when chased with a glass of the house Merlot. I wish I could remember the name of the dessert, but it was excellent as well. Great food, great price. On Lexington Avenue b/w 84th and 83rd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home