eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, September 18, 2006

Studio 60

I don't watch a whole lot of prime-time drama or sitcom, but I just saw one of the best blocks of television I've watched in a while. The first 18 minutes of "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" started with Judd Hirsch's impromptu monologue critical of the never-ending battle between suits and art. It ended with a battle between, um, suits and art, and guess what? There were firings. The suits won.

Sure there was drama and conflict, but more importantly, the writing obviously was done by someone with real industry experience (Aaron Sorkin, Sports Night -- another TV show about a TV show), unlike one of those syrupy Hollywood writers on the early "ER" shows with a medical consultant looking over his shoulder.

The second block followed nicely with Chandler, er, Matthew Perry, not stepping too far from his sometimes-funny "Friends" character. Flanked by the brilliant Bradley Whitford, the pair should pull off splendidly their task of taking over "Studio 60" for a desperate Amanda Peet.

So far art imitates life, and with Sorkin at the controls and a superior cast below, look for "Studio 60" to add Monday to the calendar of NBC's must-see lineup.

2 Comments:

At 9:24 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I am probably the world's biggest "Sorkinophile"... I watched Monday's show.

The missus was in the other room doing teacher stuff and asked me... "What do you think?"

I said... it's just what I like in a TV show... but it will never last.

It's too smart... too inside Hollywood... too political... and too up against "CSI Miami".

 
At 9:45 AM EDT, Blogger Big Primpin' said...

Yeah dude, I think next season, it might get moved to a "special new night."

I love how the nets spin even the simplest of things. Local ABCs always used to open their news after Monday Night Football with a "Special Edition" intro to the newscast, when all it was was late as hell.

I think I have a new line of BS for my boss next time I miss the early train.

"I thought I'd come in at a special time today, sir!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home